Life Long student,Business Owner,
My name is Drew Karriker, and I am really passionate about helping others, learning, and computers. Recently, my family and I moved back to North Carolina from Alaska after a crazy earthquake and it’s so nice to be back in civilization! I got my start in the tech industry with BestBuy in 2004 and fell in love. I joined the military to pay for college and was a nuclear engineer in the US Navy for 10 years. I started building WordPress sites in 2012 as a side gig, and it has grown into so much more. I do it all for my family and love of helping others who benefit from my experience, expertise, and support.
I created this site as a place to post projects and share things I have learned. Watch this introduction video from my new hire happy hour at Flywheel HQ in Omaha, Nebraska.
SOME VIDEOS I would like TO SHARE
I optimized and hosted Ben Williams’ (Professional NFL Football player) foundation site BenWilliamsfoundation.org. This is what he had to say about the experience.
An intro video to Host Octopus and some of the products and services I provided with my own company.
I developed a site for Janna Karvonan and this is what she had to say about the experience.
I developed Lizzybee’s Tax and account website, did digital marketing, and set up service automations that improved this accounting firm’s effiency and reach. Elizabeth wrote in a Google review that “hiring Host Octopus was one of the best decisions of [sic] her life”
Drew Karriker's Resume
Web Hosting Support (Frontend & Backend)
- Current personal achievements: 4,375 total support tickets resolved, 6,203 total chats with 1445 (and counting) unprompted positive chat reviews from satisfied customers (Record holder for the company).
- Writes long form technical help documents and procedures for internal troubleshooting. Frequently writes short form snippets for teammates to use in chats for speedy responses.
- Involved in new products such as Local by Flywheel and new product launches for internal beta testing.
Host Octopus LLC, Alaska
Web Developer, UI/UX Designer, Marketer, Owner
- Built a business providing hosting and developing small business websites leaning on 16 years of experience building websites, six years with WordPress websites that started as a side gig in 2014 for friends and family and progressed to a single owner-operator business that provided my family financial independence. I closed my business to focus on passion projects this past year.
- Duties included: design of websites & marketing campaigns, user experience, hosting, domain registration (including DNS), speed, SEO, social media and email marketing, backups and security implementation for Host Octopus and clients.
- Provided consultation, estimation, and expertise within a project’s design and planning phases; responsible for execution of all deliverables to clients. Frequently consulted with clients and third-party providers to achieve desired outcomes.
- Built an entire support eco-system integrated with a CRM that handled ticket, help docs, live chat (including automated responses). As a one man team, was able to leverage powerful tools to produce high performance value to customers with speedy support and average less than 20 minute response time boasting 100% uptime.
2015 - 2016
Technical Nuclear Procedure Writer
- Developed and directed the preparation and execution of comprehensive test plans, procedures, and schedules for completing nuclear system configuration and overhaul through extensive research and data collection. (I wrote highly technical plans/procedures for nuclear testing).
- Developed and maintained a procedure writing database using MS Access for planning purposes of a major carrier overhaul including coordination between ship schedules, technical work documents, and radiological controls.
2006 - 2015
United States Navy
Nuclear Power Plant Operator, Quality Assurance Manager, Supply and Planning Manager | Norfolk, VA
- While stationed overseas, led nuclear propulsion plant operations at sea for five back-to-back deployments across the 5th and 7th fleet totaling 43 months operating 4 nuclear power plants.
- In charge of the logistical supply chain and acquisitions process for an annual budget of $4.8M and associated critical $7M inventory in stored equipment and other assets. Developed digital processes for inventory, ordering, and planning parts
- Incorporated commercial best practices (5S / Lean Six-Sigma) to a warehouse, resulting in an estimated $4M savings in repair parts and the creation of five highly-specialized jobs. This prevented reordering parts and fulfilling existing customer requests and saving money for the US Taxpayer.
2005 - 2006
Sales Supervisor and Tech Bench Supervisor | Circuit City
Leader, Sales of Computers, TVs, Cameras, Tech Bench
- Consistently held the best sales records in the region month after month leading to performance awards and raises combined with increased responsibility.
- Tried to sell real estate with Century 21 as a broker which lead to joining the United States Navy as a Nuclear Machinist Mate.
2004 - 2005
Sales of Computers
- Learned a passion for customer service and computers.
Technical Procedure Writing School - (QA) FMSB– Naval Engineering Certification
Electronic Automatic Boiler Control School, Norfolk, Virginia, Certification
Environmental Safety and Health School, Norfolk, Virginia, Certification
Naval Nuclear Power Training Command, Charleston, South Carolina - Naval Engineering Certification. Graduated top of class and first to qualify.
Nuclear Machinist Mate Naval Engineering Certification
Nuclear Machinist Mate Supervisory Naval Engineering Certification
Naval Nuclear Power School, Charleston, South Carolina
Northwest Cabarrus High School, Concord, North Carolina
Real Estate School and Brokers School
Let's be friends...
Hey Friend! You can use this form or send an email if you’d like to reach out! I’d love to hear your thoughts!